The convent Sant’Angelo di Pantanelli is located in Baschi, Lazio, Italy. It was originally built as a small fort of the Basque Lords (Ghibellines) positioned on the left bank of the Tiber, to face the castle of Corbara dei Montemarte (Guelphs). It is said that in 1218 serious disagreements tore apart the powerful family of the Lords of Baschi. The three sons of Ugolino di Baschi were fighting for questions of interest and soon, it was predicted, there would be a great bloodshed.
St. Francis of Assisi, having learned of this, decided to visit the three brothers Ugolino, Ranieri and Bonconte to put peace between them and convince them to lay down their arms. The Saint succeeded in this difficult task and they, in particular by means of Bonoconte (later to become Fra Rizzerio), to show their gratitude, gave him a " locus " (their fortress) in the woods, now called Pantanelli, located on the left bank of the Tiber where Francesco founded a convent.
St. Francis dedicated it to St. Michael the Archangel (in Hebrew Mi-kala means " who like God ?") To whom he was very devoted.
The Basque Lords chose the convent for their burial (under the current church). From a notarial deed dated June 5, 1235, " the place of the Friars Minor, which belongs to Christ the Lord " already appeared in the " forest of Pantanelli " and already housed some friars and included a small church with a single nave. At the end of the 400 the convent was enlarged and the wooden choir, the refectory and the kitchen were built. The current appearance with the facing portico dates back to 1703. Over the centuries it underwent transformations, the last dating back to the 1700s.
This structure was used as a convent for in the 1973 Euro-western “7 Nuns in Kansas City”
“7 Nuns in Kansas City” - 1973
Post a Comment