Wednesday, May 10, 2023

RIP Federico Savina

 


Godspeed, Maestro.

Today the cinematic arts lose a mentor, an artist, and a gentleman: Federico Savina.

If you ever heard music by Nino Rota, Ennio Morricone, and even Jerry Goldsmith and Leonard Bernstein, chances are you have been in contact with his mixing or soundtrack restoration work.

A pioneer of new technology in sound, he's been a Dolby consultant during the stereo, early surround and digital transitions, contributing to the establishment of what we know today as the Dolby standards.

He could dub an entire sequence, music and dialogue, all in one pass, running faders in real time on an analog desk with no meters, on a student film he had never seen before, and he was 80 at the time!

Federico was the brother of the late composer Carol Savina. 

Federico Savina was the music editor on Ennio Morricone’s 1971’s score for “Duck You Sucker!

 

1 comment:

  1. I knew who Carlo Savina was but I had never heard of his brother Federico Savina until now nor did I even know he had a brother. I also didn't know that Federico did the mixing on the music for 1971's Spaghetti Western "Duck, You Sucker!". I've been seeing that movie for years but never fully recognized the name. I kept thinking that Federico and Carlo were one in the same but I was wrong. I guess life has a way of teaching you things. RIP Maestro.

    ReplyDelete