Friday, April 29, 2016

Spaghetti Western Trivia




When Giuliano Gemma started making westerns the Italian producers thought it was best to Americanize his name if they wanted to release his films internationally. This way viewers would think he was an American actor.

I’ve heard several stories on how the name Montgomery Wood was chosen. Robert Woods told me that after the success of his early westerns several actors copied the Wood(s) name to cash in on his early success. Second I heard Gemma was asked to pick an American sounding stage name and because he was a huge fan of Montgomery Clift and Natalie Wood he chose Montgomery Wood. The daughter of Giuliano, Giuliana Gemma told me a producer picked out the name and he had nothing to do with it. In fact she said he hated the name.

I guess it maybe a little of all those answers or none of them at all. I guess we’ll never know for sure.


4 comments:

  1. Biltmore: In Argentina he was billed as "Ringo Wood" on a number of films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as I know, Giuliano's daughter name is Vera and not Giuliana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how Robert Woods must feel. I was born as Benjamin Lewis Bence Jr. in Bartow, Florida, on July 18, 1993. I was diagnosed with autism at age 3 and was in special classes from kindergarten to 2nd grade. Then I went to regular classes with normal kids for fear that it might label me as "mentally delayed" which was something that my parents did not want. My first passion was music and I started performing live on stage in school at age four. That was 1997. I started acting in school plays later on with my first being "The Nutcracker" in 2005 at age twelve. One time, somebody called my house and asked for a Mr. David Scott. My mother told them that I wasn't David Scott but nevertheless I thought it was funny. I have since decided to go with it. If people think I'm somebody else, so be it. Even if that somebody else is David Scott. Such a small world. Really small.

    ReplyDelete