Thursday, September 10, 2026

S. Florida’s unlikely sitcom star [archived newspaper article]


Tomas Milian’s work includes art films, spaghetti westerns


Miami Herald

By Hal Boedeker

Herald Television Critic

     Though Tomas Milian, of Coral Gables, will debut as a “Cuban Archie Bunker” on a new CBS series Sunday, he is the most unlikely of sitcom actors.

     How many TV actors studied with Marilyn Monroe at the Actors Studio? Or starred in spaghetti westerns? Or worked with Italian directors Luchino Visconti. Michelangelo Antonioni and Bernardo Bertolucci.

     Milian came to the sitcom Frannie’s Turn via Havanna, the 1990 Robert Redford flop. A casting director for the Carsey-Werner Co., producers of Roseanne and the Cosby Show, saw Milian play the villainous chief of the secret police. Carsey-Werner wanted to see his comedic qualities.

     “I auditioned as an Italian American,” Milian said in a phone interview, “They decided since I Love Lucy, there hasn’t been a Cuban husband. So they decided to make him Cuban.”

     No problem Milian 59, left Cuban in 1956 to pursue an acting career. A year later, he joined the Actors Studio, whose students included Paul Newman, Marlon Brando and Monroe. “She was always sitting next to me.” Milian said, “She was very sweet, like an angel.”

     Good reviews for an Off-Broadway play took Milian to Italy, and one movie followed another. He stayed for 31 years.

     He began in artistic films moved onto spaghetti westerns (he was often the bad guy) and later specialized in action movies. He created Monezza, a popular thief-turned policeman in 16 movies.

     “Monezza was supposed to be agile and extroverted,” Milian recalled, “I was getting fat, losing my hair.” So he returned to the United States to start over. He played a tough general who slapped his son in Miami Vice and a drug-running millionaire on Murder, She Wrote.

     In Frannie’s Turn, he plays the opinioned Joseph Escobar, who can’t understand his wife, Frannie (Miriam Margolyes). “He wants to be in command in the house,” he said. “His word has to be followed.” An increasingly impatient Frannie tells him where to go.

     Milian is troubled by jokes about Fidel Castro and revolution in Sunday’s premiere. “I don’t want to offend people who suffered a lot, including my mother.” he said. “I just would have gone without it myself. I have to interpret what they give me to do. I think the man I’m playing is very lovable, with a big heart. He’s a good person, but he won’t give his wife her rights.”

     The second episode, to be seen in the series’ regular 8 p.m. Saturday time slot next week, features a joke about Cuba that could be “touchy politics,” Milian said. “But I have asked for respect to the people who have suffered with the Cuban situation… it’s not going to happen again.”

     Milian has owned his Coral Gables home since 1968, and his mother lives nearby. He and his wife commute among the Gables, Venice, New York and now Los Angeles.

     “The show is getting better day after day,” he said. “I hope the Cubans in America are proud that a Cuban is being recognized as a talent.”       



No comments:

Post a Comment