Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Interview with Mari Luz Galicia (Part 1 of 2)

 La Abadia de Berzaro

By Ignacio Bilbao

June 25, 2022

Mari Luz Galicia was going for star. This is demonstrated by the fact that, in the decade in which she was active as an actress, she worked under the orders of filmmakers such as Edgar Neville, Fernando Fernán Gómez or Juan de Orduña, sharing the screen with authentic legends of the time such as the Mexican Dolores del Rio, the Italians Vittorio de Sica and Walter Chiari, or, in a more local key, Fernando Rey, José Luis Ozores, Aurora Bautista or Fernán Gómez himself. Duende and mystery of flamenco (1952), The evil Carabel (1956), Las de Caín (1959) or the precursory diptych of the emergence of the European western formed by The revenge of Zorro (1962) and Riding towards death (El Zorro) / The Shadow of Zorro (1962), are just some of the classics of our cinema in which the Madrilenian took part playing leading roles. However, despite having everything in her favor, her environment was not conducive to her. First her father's reticence to her artistic concerns, and then the interference of her husband, the producer, director and screenwriter Eduardo Manzanos, ruined her brilliant future, cutting short her career. her prematurely. This is how she explains it to us in the following interview in which we review her film career.

[Mari Luz with Edgar Neville and Lolita Sevilla at the Cannes Film Festival]

Her debut as an actress came in Duende and mystery of flamenco under the command of none other than Edgar Neville. How did she get into this movie?

One afternoon my father tells me: “Your mother has asked me to buy her some things for the house. Come on”. And I stayed on the Gran Vía with him. Then a strange coincidence happened. I walk past Chicote, and I, apparently, was a very cute girl who attracted attention, even though she was only fifteen at the time. Edgar Neville was at one of Chicote's tables and, seeing me pass, he got up. "I'm going to go after that girl who walks very well." In short, I got to where I had agreed with my father, which was in a very good men's store that was on the corner of Calle del Clavel. When we see each other we kiss and in this Edgar Neville appears and says to my father: “But, Paco, who is this pretty girl that she is giving you these kisses? How lucky you are, son of my life!” My father, a little angry, replied: "She's my daughter!" “Mother of my life. If I came to know that you have such a beautiful daughter, we had not left the friendship, "Neville replied. “We have never left friendship. What I see is that you are still very expensive”. They stood there talking for a while and Neville explained to my father that he had seen me walk past him and, since he was going to make a film, he had seen something in me. “I have seen her very serious and very thoughtful and I have said to myself: I am going to follow her. What is my surprise when I see that she is kissing the best friend I have ever had. You imagine what a coincidence. I had no idea that my father knew Edgar Neville, who was a very interesting character. What I see is that you are still very expensive”. They stood there talking for a while and Neville explained to my father that he had seen me walk past him and, since he was going to make a film, he had seen something in me. “I have seen her very serious and very thoughtful and I have said to myself: I am going to follow her. What is my surprise when I see that she is kissing the best friend I have ever had. You imagine what a coincidence. I had no idea that my father knew Edgar Neville, who was a very interesting character. What I see is that you are still very expensive”. They stood there talking for a while and Neville explained to my father that he had seen me walk past him and, since he was going to make a film, he had seen something in me. “I have seen her very serious and very thoughtful and I have said to myself: I am going to follow her. What is my surprise when I see that she is kissing the best friend I have ever had. You imagine what a coincidence. I had no idea that my father knew Edgar Neville, who was a very interesting character. What is my surprise when I see that he is kissing the best friend I have ever had. You imagine what a coincidence. I had no idea that my father knew Edgar Neville, who was a very interesting character. What is my surprise when I see that he is kissing the best friend I have ever had. You imagine what a coincidence. I had no idea that my father knew Edgar Neville, who was a very interesting character.

Neville went on to tell my father that he had seen some gyrations and a way of walking that had led him to think that I danced. "Tell me. Of course she dances”, my father replied. “I am going to make a film in which the best are going to dance: Antonio, Alejandro Vega, the outfit that Pilar López was wearing… So I want to see your daughter. I'm going to Malaga and she can come with me and, if you want, too”. "Yes, I'm going too, because I don't leave my daughter alone with you," he replied jokingly. In the end my brother [the set designer] José Luis [Galicia] also signed up to come. Filming began in Malaga and Neville made me dance for him. He asked me: “Do you dance por soleares?” "Of course. For soleares , for alegríasand for what you ask me. I dance everything. I dance Albéniz, Triana, de Bretón… From Spanish musicians, everything”. Then he explained to me that a guitarist was going to go to the hotel where we were and he was going to tell him to play to see me dance. "Let's see what comes to mind," he told me. He pissed me off. "My God, what if I start dancing and I do it wrong or he doesn't like me?" He thought. But the truth is that he was so confident that I think I did very well. "Phenomenal! Tomorrow I will come with Antonio. You put on the same skirt, I want you to dance in front of him, let's see what he says”. I couldn't sleep that night. But what is it that when you know something and have studied it, when you have to prove it, the truth comes out. So when he saw me Antonio he said: “Olé! I'm taking this girl." His representative came and wanted to hire me, but what happens in families. My father said: “Where do you go, if you don't know English and you're not of legal age? You can not go away." It was hard for me to cry. Antonio told me that they were going to spoil my career, because my thing was dancing. But of course, I had to obey my father.

I understand then that your father did not like you to dance...

No, my father didn't like it. He recognized that he danced well, but the truth is that he didn't like it. For example, once we had to go to Seville, because my father had to discuss a topic with one of his clients, and there were many good artists and dancers there . Of course, I was a kid who was fifteen years old and that world seemed wonderful to me and I went crazy looking at one and the other. Piquer was there and encouraged me: "Come on, sing!" But my father told me not even to think of singing, much less dancing. However, I don't know who came and insisted that I dance. Total, I started to dance and you can see that they applauded me a lot. But seeing it, my father said: “I don't like this environment at all. Let's go to the hotel."

Another anecdote also happened to me. Here came, nothing more and nothing less, than Leonide Massine, who had premiered The Three-Cornered Hat with music by Manuel de Falla and sets by Picasso. Regla Ortega, her dance teacher, called me to tell me that a very old Russian man who was very important and wanted to see girls who danced well had gone. Apparently, he had gone to several academies and had not stayed with any. “So, baby, come on. Let's see if this Russian likes you”, she told me with her gypsy accent. When I arrived and saw that it was Leonide Massine, I couldn't believe it. "Let's see, what are you going to dance?" She asked me. “For soleá", I answered. After seeing me dance, he kept saying: “I want to dance with you! You're coming to London with me, I've been to all the academies in Madrid and I haven't seen anyone I like as much as I like you. I see you as a girl with a lot of temperament, but at the same time you are elegant and don't mess up the dance”. Apparently, Carmen was going to mountin Covent Garden and the Spanish part that has the work wanted me to do it. But then my father showed up and he said not London or anything. Because, of course, I had to go alone by contract, because my mother had also told me that she was not the “artist mother”. And my mother was good, and that she loved dancing. Then Leonide Massine called me by conference call and I told her the truth: that she was having difficulties, because she was not of legal age and my parents did not authorize me to go to London. And that has been the fate of my artistic career; I have had in my hands the power to do important things, but then I have not been able to do them. I am pleased to have had very good reviews, yes.

I think it was Cesáreo González who offered him a contract to continue making movies…

Yes. Cesáreo González made me a contract that I think was for two years. But something happened that did not happen. There was another producer who got involved and spoiled my contract with Cesáreo. And things stayed like this...

Was that other producer Eduardo Manzanos?

Exactly.

[Continued on Friday July 8, 2022]

No comments:

Post a Comment