Friday, August 25, 2023

Spaghetti Western Trivia - Why Ty Hardin vacated Spain

 

According to this archived April 23, 1975, Variety report sent to me by Michael Ferguson, Ty Hardin and Bob Hevelone (brother of Barbara Hevelone, Lee Van Cleef’s widow) vacated Spain when they were charged and fined $9,200 on charges of smuggling drugs (marijuana?) into Spain. Bob’s middle name is given as Sheldon but it’s actually Eldon. 

In following up on this story I was able to locate this report:


The Canberra Times

July 10, 1974

TY HARDIN

LONDON, Tuesday

(AAP). — A US actor, Ty Hardin, of Bronco Lane tele vision series, has been released on bail from a Span ish jail where he has been held for a month on drug trafficking charges. The 46-year-old 6ft 2in Texan, was yesterday given "provisional liberty" in a Madrid court and had his passport confiscated pending trial. I Typhoon


1 comment:

  1. Bronco Layne on dope? Now that would be a fun movie to make. Ty Hardin and Bob Hevelone smuggled what I believe was 15 kilos of cocaine, 5 ounces of LSD, and 20 grams of marijuana into Spain by way of the United States. This was in 1975 and Hardin, who was raised a Texan but was born in New York, was taking a break from acting to run his own business when all this happened. They got caught and the only reason they got outta jail was that they both lied about the cocaine being baking powder. They also lied about the LSD and said it was spring water. And as for the weed? They said it was spinach! LOL Really? Weed is now spinach? Never have I ever watched a Popeye cartoon and heard Popeye say, "I'm mighty indeed cuz I eats me weed I'm Popeye the sailor man." Not ever! I can just imagine it now. Ty Hardin gets made fun of by those who have heard of him many years from now. And when this gets brought up, this is the song they're gonna sing. "I had my own TV show until I got high. I did some Spaghetti Westerns but then I got high. Now I'm in a Spanish prison and I know why. Yeah, heh. Because I got high, because I got high, because I got high." LOL Now that's funny. "Extra, extra, read all about it. Ty Hardin is a trippy hippie!"

    ReplyDelete